Oatmeal is a staple in my house. My kids go crazy over those little individual packets of their favorite flavored instant oats. Almost every morning, before my husband and I even have the chance to open our eyes, starts with the request for “Oats!”.
It’s rare that I ever have the energy to get up early and put together a warm breakfast that takes a bit more effort than just ripping off the top of the little, brown, paper packet, dumping the oats in a bowl and finally stirring in the piping, hot water. Hey! I said it’s rare, not impossible. It does happen… sometimes. 😉 Like the other day when I didn’t have anything to fix and the girls had finished up their supply of cereal, eggs, and instant oatmeal.
Normally, when this happens, I like to fix a quick Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal. Talk about a flavor punch to the tastebuds! (This recipe will come later 😉 )
Having a few peaches in my fridge that needed to be used before they outgrow their use, I thought it would be fun to come up with my own version of the Peaches & Cream Flavored Instant Oatmeal. With the addition of brown sugar and spices, my version had more of a Peach Cobbler taste rather than Peaches and Cream. I added some chopped pecans and cream cheese to give this recipe it’s velvety texture and a little crunch in each bite.
It was so super easy, more filling than the store-bought oats, and it really hit the spot in the tiny tummies of my littles. My husband loved this version so much that he actually had to get seconds (another rarity in this house)! Best part of this whole recipe? It’s a scrumptious breakfast that can be made in 15 minutes or less. No more of those impatient toddler demands!
Creamy Peach Cobbler Oatmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or milk)
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 large peaches, chopped with skin on
- 3-4 tbs. brown sugar
- 3 tbs. Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 6 oz cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, in a large mixing bowl, add in chopped peaches, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the sugars. Stir to cover peaches.
- When water comes to a boil, add in oats. Cook about 3-4 minutes or until the oatmeal starts to thicken. Add in peach mixture and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in cream cheese just until melted and combined. Stir in pecans.
- Serve immediately! Dig in and enjoy 🙂
- My husband likes his on the thicker side but I like mine a little thinner. If this is your preference as well, you can do like me and add a splash of cold milk to yours!
- When using the cream cheese in this recipe, I found that it adds a nice tanginess to the oats while also adding a little more of a creamy texture. The amount of creaminess is totally up to you. I had some chunks of cream cheese that hadn’t completely melted to mix in but it I actually liked getting a few bites of it. If you don’t like this you can certainly mix it a little more.
- I went a step further than just serving our oats. I simply spooned the oats into individual ramekins and sprinkled them with more brown sugar and chopped pecans. I then placed them in a 350° oven and let them bake until the sugar had caramelized a little and the pecans toasted. This created a nice sugary crust on the top!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed making it. I’m sure there are other versions of this recipe out there but I was really happy with the turnout of mine! It quickly became a recipe that my whole family adores!
If you need another fruity breakfast idea that also doubles as dessert, try my Blueberry Lemon Bread Pudding.
Don’t forget to give my blog a quick follow for new recipes and updates in my crazy life. ❤